UCLA Mindful Awareness Practices
(MAPs) I: For Daily Living
Date & Time:
Tuesday, March 12, 2019, From 6:30 to 8:30 PM
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, From 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Mindful Awareness Practices are the signature educational programs of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center. These 6-week classes are open to the public and to all UCLA staff, faculty, and students. MAPs I For Daily Living lays the foundation for students to understand the basic principles of Mindfulness, develop a personal meditation practice, and how to apply the principles in their daily life.
What You Will Practice
- Basics of Mindfulness
- Relational Mindfulness
- Practices to develop positive emotions
- Body Mindfulness
- Obstacles to Mindfulness
- Physical Pain and Difficult Emotions reduced by Mindfulness
- Cultivating Positive Emotions
- Working with Difficult Thoughts
- Interacting with Mindfulness
- Sitting meditation
- Walking meditation
- Standing meditation
- Mindfulness in movement
- Daily life meditations
This is a 6-week class that meets once a week for two hours. Each class is a combination of lecture, practice, group feedback and discussion. Students report that the group support was one of the most helpful and inspiring aspects of the class. There is daily home meditation practice assignments starting at five minutes a day and working up to 20 minutes daily by the end of the course.
Who Should Take This Class?
Take this course as an excellent introduction to Mindfulness for beginners. It is also appropriate for experienced practitioners who wish to revitalize his/her practice. MAPs are helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions and are suitable for ages 16 and over.
Location & Parking:
6914 Canby Ave, Suite 103 Reseda, CA 91335 – The venue is in a business plaza with US Fitness center. There are plenty of FREE Parking. Please arrive a few minutes early to your first session so that you can find the place and settle in.
If you enter the gate, punch in this code: 53319 Thank you.
What to Bring:
All you need is comfortable clothing. Chairs and cushions are provided.
Classes are taught in a supportive community environment with classes no larger than 28 students.
We offer special pricing for Seniors 65+, UCLA Students, First Responders, Veterans and their immediate family members.
Please consider making a donation or sponsoring our special programs for the First Responders, Veterans and their immediate family members and general scholarships. For more information visit: First Responders/Veterans Stress Relief Initiative.
No one is turned away for lack of funds. If you are in true financial hardship and unable to pay the full price please contact us via Info@PerfectlyHere.org and ask for a scholarship or work-exchange opportunities.
Thank you for your interest. We hope to be a strong resource for you and your family to practice and develop Mindfulness.
Class Registration Policy
MARC classes/events are educational programs, not a clinical treatment. Registrations are accepted online, and are not complete until payment is received. Registration with payment is strongly encouraged as class sizes are limited and do fill quickly. If you pre-register without payment and the class fills, you will be notified and placed on a waitlist.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Refunds requested via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to two weeks before the first day of class will be assessed a $25 administrative fee. We regret that we cannot give refunds after this date. Refunds should be requested by email to email@example.com. Please honor our refund/cancellation policy.
- Postponing a Class: Credit towards a future class will be provided if a registrant notifies us by email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to 5PM on Friday of the first week of the class series. The future class must be taken in the series immediately following the missed class series. NO EXCEPTIONS. (for example: if postponing a May/June class series you will have to use your credit and enroll in the July/August class series). This future class will have to be at the UCLA campus locations only.
- Make-up Class: If you miss a class, you may make up ONE in-person class within the current series at your level only. No refund or prorate will be issued for missed classes.
- Perfectly Here reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. Registrants will be notified via email in advance of the class.
- No refunds or credits are given to registrant “no-shows”.
- Refunds for payments made by check may take longer to process.