UCLA Mindful Awareness Practices
(MAPs) I: Mindfulness For Daily Living
Date & Time:
Six Saturdays (Nov 2 to Dec 14; Nov 30 OFF) From 3-5 PM
Mindful Awareness Practices are the signature educational programs of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, MARC. These 6-week classes are open to the public and to all UCLA staff, faculty, and students. MAPs I For Daily Living lays the foundation for students to understand the basic principles of Mindfulness, develop a personal meditation practice, and how to apply the principles in their daily life.
What You Will Practice
- Basics of Mindfulness
- Relational Mindfulness
- Practices to develop positive emotions
- Body Mindfulness
- Obstacles to Mindfulness
- Physical Pain and Difficult Emotions reduced by Mindfulness
- Cultivating Positive Emotions
- Working with Difficult Thoughts
- Interacting with Mindfulness
- Sitting meditation
- Walking meditation
- Standing meditation
- Mindfulness in movement
- Daily life meditations
This is a 6-week class that meets once a week for two hours. Each class is a combination of lecture, practice, group feedback and discussion. Students report that the group support was one of the most helpful and inspiring aspects of the class. There is daily home meditation practice assignments starting at five minutes a day and working up to 20 minutes daily by the end of the course.
Who Should Take This Class?
Take this course as an excellent introduction to Mindfulness for beginners. It is also appropriate for experienced practitioners who wish to revitalize their practice. MAPs are helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions and are suitable for ages 16 and over.
Dr. Manijeh Motaghy and other authorized MAPS teachers. Our MAPs instructors have years of personal experience practicing Mindfulness. Our founder, Dr. Motaghy teaches Mindfulness nationally and internationally.
Location & Parking:
6914 Canby Ave, Suite 103 Reseda, CA 91335 – The venue is in a business plaza with US Fitness center. There are plenty of FREE Parking. Please arrive a few minutes early to your first session so that you can find the place and settle in.
If you enter the gate, punch in this code: 53319 Thank you.
What to Bring:
All you need is comfortable clothing. We provide comfortable chairs and cushions.
Classes are taught in a supportive community environment with classes no larger than 25 students.
We offer special pricing for Seniors 65+, UCLA Students, First Responders, Veterans and their immediate family members.
It’s important to keep these offerings alive, so please consider making a donation or sponsoring our special programs for the First Responders, Veterans and their immediate family members and general scholarships. For more information visit: First Responders/Veterans Stress Relief Initiative.
No one is turned away for lack of funds. If you are in true financial hardship and unable to pay the full price please contact us via Info@PerfectlyHere.org and ask for a scholarship or work-exchange opportunities.
Thank you for your interest. We hope to be a strong resource for you and your family to practice and develop Mindfulness.
Class Registration Policy
Perfectly Here classes/events are educational programs, not a clinical treatment. We accept registrations online, by check or cash in person. However, your registration is not complete until we receive payment. Registration with payment is strongly encouraged as class sizes are limited and do fill quickly.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Refunds requested via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to two weeks before the first day of class will be assessed a $25 administrative fee. We regret that we cannot give refunds after this date. Please honor our refund/cancellation policy.
- Postponing a Class: Credit towards a future class will be provided if a registrant notifies us by email (to email@example.com) prior to 5PM on Friday of the first week of the class series. The future class must be taken in the series immediately following the missed class series. NO EXCEPTIONS. (for example: if postponing a May/June class series you will have to use your credit and enrol in the July/August class series). This future class will have to be at the UCLA campus locations only.
- Make-up Class: If you miss a class, you may make up ONE in-person class within the current series at your level only. No refund or prorate will be issued for missed classes.
- Perfectly Here reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrolment. Registrants will be notified via email in advance of the class.
- No refunds or credits are given to registrant “no-shows”.
- Refunds for payments made by check may take longer to process.