September 14, 2016 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
UCLA Mindfulness MAPS I: For Daily Living
Six Sat, Jan 16 – Feb 27, (Sat, Feb 13 OFF)
12 – 2 pm (PST, US & Canada time)
Mindful Awareness Practices are the signature educational programs of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center. These six-week class series are open to the public and all UCLA staff, faculty, and students. The classes lay the foundation for students to understand the basic principles of mindfulness, develop a personal meditation practice, and to apply the principles in their daily life on an ongoing basis.
Each class is a combination of lecture, practice, and group feedback and discussion. MAPs are taught in the context of a supportive community environment with classes no larger than 30-40 students. Students report that the group support was one of the most helpful and inspiring aspects of the class. Our MAPs instructors have years of personal experience practicing mindfulness and teaching it nationally and internationally. MAPs are helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions. These classes are suitable for ages 16 and over.
- Sitting meditation
- Eating meditation
- Daily life meditations
- Relational mindfulness
- Walking meditation
- Standing meditation
- Movement meditation
- Practices to develop positive emotion
- Overview of Mindfulness
- Mindfulness of the Body
- Obstacles to Mindfulness
- Mindfulness to help with Physical Pain with Difficult Emotions
- Cultivating Positive Emotions
- Working with Difficult Thoughts
- Mindful Interactions
MAPs classes meet weekly for two hours per week for six weeks. Students will complete daily home practice meditation assignments starting at five minutes a day and working up to 20 minutes daily by the end of the course. Students will receive a complimentary Home Practice CD and a copy of the book Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness.
Who should take this class?
This course is an excellent introduction to mindfulness for beginners. MAPs class lays the foundation for daily meditation practice and provides insight into the basics of mindfulness and how it can be applied to daily life. It is also appropriate for an experienced practitioner who wishes to revitalize his/her practice. MAPs are helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions.
Dr. Manijeh Motaghy – Founder, Program Director, and Teacher at Perfectly Here. She is an Authorized Mindfulness teacher through UCLA MARC and holds a Doctorate in Psychology of Organization Management.
Location: Zoom – you will receive the link to register for the Zoom class upon completing your payment.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- MAPS course refund policy is based on what UCLA MARC provides as below:
- Refunds requested two weeks before the event date will be assessed a 20% administrative fee. We regret that we cannot give refunds after this date. Refunds should be requested by phone or email. Please honor our refund policy.
- Credit towards a future workshop/daylong will be provided if a registrant notifies us at least one day before the workshop. Credit must be requested by phone or email and used within three months of payment.
- We reserve the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment. Registrants will be notified in advance of the daylong or workshop.
- No refunds or credits are given to registrant “no-shows.”
- Refunds for payments made by check may take longer to process
We offer special COVID 19 pricing.