What Can You Do, When You Cannot Change These Atrocities?
July 23, 2019
By Dr. Manijeh Motaghy – Co-Founder of Perfectly Here and Mindful Business Institute. Member of International Mindfulness Teachers Association.
The Dalai Lama
- How do I feel about good people, innocent people being violated, frightened, killed?
- When the mind is filled with justified anger, rage and hate, how does it feel inside me?
- Does this hate, rage and anger violate and frighten other innocent people around me, including myself?
- If I keep emphasizing my principals of kindness and goodwill through anger and hate, do I cause harm to my own health and well-being and others’ health and well-being? Who am I killing?
- Can this justified rage and hate cause a change in the positive direction?
- Can it increase happiness for myself and others (specially in my own inner circles, family and friends) or does it add to the fear, worry, anxiety and suffering of oneself and others?
These are important reflections for us, as Mindfulness practitioners, those of us who claim to be the “good people.” If answers to the above are not favourable to keeping the anger and hate alive and you sincerely realize that you DO NOT wish to cause harm, then you can move to exploring these practice suggestions:
“What Can I Do, When I Cannot Change These Atrocities?”
- I can make the following conscious intentions:
- I will NOT cause HARM to others
- I will NOT to be an agent of those who spread fear and anxiety
- I will keep my heart and mind clean to help reduce the impact of these atrocities and NOT increase it
- I can take responsibility for my own well-being and inner peace:
- I will tend to the cleaning of my mind through meditation, concentration and awareness of my body, my breath, my thoughts and my feelings
- I will cultivate compassion and wish happiness for all, omitting none
- I will not judge myself when I am unable to have compassion and wish happiness for some
- I will keep evaluating my effort and practice, it’s results and my own sense of happiness and modify as needed.
For more expert blogs and Dr. Motaghy’s teachings go to: https://perfectlyhere.org/blog/